Thursday, November 17, 2011

Reading is fundamental for us too!

Recently, I was reading a blog post (can't recall where and I apologize to the author) about how we need to model good reading habits to our students.  The question was posed: when was the last time you read just to enjoy it?  Think about it, we read blogs, professional journals, memos and many other things that pertain to our profession.  For me, that means reading award winners for children and new books.  Don't get me wrong -- I love it!  But am I challenging myself as a reader?  The last book I read that had nothing to do with work was The Help this summer (see earlier posts).  I (and you dear reader) need to carve out time to read for oursevles for the simple joy of it.  Last night after conferences, the principal, assistant principal and I were talking about how we'd read at night after we had gone to bed.  That "rebel reader" in me that read by the nightlight with books I had tucked under my bed!  Now, I drag myself to bed after watching TV.  Let us not forget the simple joy found in a book and let us make sure to share that with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment