Saturday, January 15, 2011

Online Jigsaw Puzzles!

Jigsaw Planet is a site that allows you to upload pictures to create puzzles to complete online.  You can also use a variety of the existing puzzles that are already uploaded for public use.  I found a six piece Australia one (see screen shot, took me 30 seconds and I'm not good at puzzles!) all the way up to 100 + piece puzzles to complete.  I really like puzzles to help students view things differently and to look at different possible solutions to problems.  With non-virutal puzzles (or even with these) you can use them as team building activities to help students learn how to work together in a non-academic way.  In the library and classroom, I've even done puzzle relays.  I set up teams of 3-4 students to work together.  They then complete a puzzle and write down the time it took them to complete.  They do this with a series of 5-6 floor puzzles, but any type could work (adjust # of puzzles based on age and size of puzzle).  We then added up the total times for each team to find our puzzle champs!  Students loved this - especially working on the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment